|For other uses, see William Turner (disambiguation)|
Will Turner (father)
|Also known as||
Young Will Turner
|Ship(s) captained or crewed|
|Behind the scenes|
- "Who are you?"
"My name is Henry Turner. Son of Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann."
"Ugh! You're the evil spawn of them two. Does mommy ever ask about me? Go on."
- ―Jack Sparrow and Henry Turner
Henry Turner was the son of Will Turner and Elizabeth Turner (née Swann). Following his first encounter with his father, Henry decided to find the legendary Trident of Poseidon so he could free his father from his curse, an obligation to sail the Seven Seas for all eternity as captain of the Flying Dutchman. When he grew up, Henry became a sailor in the Royal Navy, serving on the Monarch. During his adventures, he encountered the terrifying ghost crew led by Armando Salazar, who requested him to find the known pirate Jack Sparrow.
- "Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me. We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot. Drink up, me hearties, Yo ho. We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot. Drink up, me hearties, Yo ho. Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me."
- ―Young Henry Turner
About nine months after the War Against Piracy, this child would be born to Will and Elizabeth Turner (née Swann). For the next nine years and few months of his life, young Henry Turner would remain with Elizabeth until his father's return from his ten-year duty aboard the Flying Dutchman.</nowiki>
On the day of his father's return from the Land of the Dead, young Henry sang a song, which his mother had taught him, while the sun was setting. It was here that young Henry witnessed the green flash as well as meeting his father, Will Turner, for the first time.
Quest for the Trident of PoseidonEdit
Reconnecting with his fatherEdit
- "Don't you see I'm cursed to this ship?
That's why I'm here. I think I know a way to break your curse, to free you from the Dutchman.
I've read about a treasure. A treasure that holds all the power of the sea. The Trident of Poseidon can break your curse."
- ―Will Turner and Young Henry
When he grew older, the young man wanted to reconnect with his father, so he decided to free him from the curse of the Flying Dutchman. He spent several years searching for him, eventually becoming a headstrong young sailor in the British Royal Navy. He served aboard the powerful warship called the Monarch.
- "Jack Sparrow. Do you know this pirate?"
"Only by name."
"Find Sparrow for me, and relay a message from Capitán Salazar, and tell him...death will come straight for him. Will you say that to him? Please?"
- ―Armando Salazar and Henry
Thrown into the brig of the Monarch, Henry was unable to participate in battle when the ship was attacked in the haunted waters of the Devil's Triangle. That accidentally led to Henry being the only survivor of the battle, in which the Monarch's crew was massacred by the ghosts led by Captain Armando Salazar. When Salazar walked below deck, he picked up a wanted poster of the infamous pirate Jack Sparrow from the floor and asked Henry if he knew Sparrow. When Henry replied that he knew Sparrow only by name, Salazar walked through the bars and asked Henry to find Sparrow and give him a message about death coming straight for him. His further fate is unknown.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Henry Turner was portrayed by Dominic Scott Kay, who was credited as "Young Will Turner" in the film's credits, in the final scene of At World's End. Lewis McGowan, credited as "Young Henry" in the film's credits, portrayed Henry in the very first scene of Dead Men Tell No Tales, while Brenton Thwaites portrayed the adult Henry for the rest of the film.
- Before Thwaites was selected to play Henry in Dead Men Tell No Tales, actors Taron Egerton, George MacKay, Mitchell Hope, Ansel Engort and Sam Keeley were considered for the role, but at the end, Thwaites got the part.
- The character was listed as "Young Will Turner" in the ending credits for At World's End. Although Thwaites' character was only confirmed as "Henry" in Dead Men Tell No Tales promotions at first, a behind the scenes video credited Thwaites as "Henry Turner".
- Before it was confirmed that Henry was the son of Will and Elizabeth in the fifth Pirates film, rumors claimed that the character's full name is "Henry Maddox", a brash young British officer who would intercept Jack Sparrow in his quest for the Trident of Poseidon and fall head over heels for Carina Smyth in the process.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The timeline established in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, its novelization, and the comic book adaptation sets Henry's birth in 1730.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The ending credits for At World's End named the character "Young Will Turner".
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Young Will Turner had to be nine years old by Will's return from his 10-year duty. He was born 9 months after Will's departure, and Will returned 9 years later.</span> </li> <li id="cite_note-AWE-4">[[#cite_ref-AWE_4-0|↑]] <span class="reference-text">''[[Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End]]''</span> </li> <li id="cite_note-DMTNT-5">↑ <sup>[[#cite_ref-DMTNT_5-0|6.0]]</sup> <sup>[[#cite_ref-DMTNT_5-1|6.1]]</sup> <span class="reference-text">''[[Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales]]''</span> </li> <li id="cite_note-6">[[#cite_ref-6|↑]] <span class="reference-text">[http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/film/john-lewis-christmas-ad-scot-to-star-in-pirates-of-the-caribbean-1-3951992 John Lewis Christmas ad Scot to star in Pirates of the Caribbean - The Scotsman]</span> </li> <li id="cite_note-7">[[#cite_ref-7|↑]] <span class="reference-text">[http://deadline.com/2014/10/pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tales-disney-hearththrob-pirates-1201268914/ Oh, Henry! Disney Chasing Hearththrobs For Next ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’]</span> </li> <li id="cite_note-8">[[#cite_ref-8|↑]] <span class="reference-text">Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - New Look!<br>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0HEWeTvM8Q</span> </li></ol>