- "It flies the Spanish flag."
- ―Gombo, regarding the Spanish fort
During the Age of Piracy, the Kingdom of Spain has used at least two different flags as its national symbol. The first one was the Cross of Burgundy, a red diagonal cross on a white background, while the second flag was composed of three horizontal stripes: red, yellow and red. The flags were most notably flown of the Spanish forts in the New World and ships of the Spanish Royal Navy.
- "So, ready to fly Spanish colors on that ship of yours?"
- ―Hector Hexbain to a pirate
The Cross of Burgundy was adopted as the national flag of Spain shortly after the Spanish discovery of the New World. For the next two centuries, it was used on ships of the Spanish Royal Navy. Around the early 1730s, when the Caribbean branch of the Spanish Navy was led by Admiral Maldonado, the new flag was adopted, a flag consisting of three horizontal stripes: red, yellow and red, the yellow stripe being twice the size of each red stripe. The flag was soon used on Spanish ships, coastal fortresses, and military outposts. In the 1740s, during the War of Garcia and Pierre, the flag was also used by Spanish privateers under the command of Garcia de la Avaricia. In 1750, during the quest for the Fountain of Youth, The Spaniard's fleet also flew that flag, though his men carried different flags in battle.
Behind the scenes
- In almost all Pirates of the Caribbean materials, a modern Spanish flag is displayed on Spanish islands and Spanish ships, instead of the one from the middle of the 18th century. This is most likely a mistake made by the developers, since the flag used was not flown by Spain until 1785, thirty-five years after the events of On Stranger Tides. The historically accurate flag, the Cross of Burgundy, appears in only one POTC product, the cancelled video game Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
- Legends of the Brethren Court: The Caribbean
- Six Sea Shanties: Strangers Bearing Gifts (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides