- "I'd been studyin' him through me spyglass, and I had me suspicions. The ship was a sloop, Bermuda rigged, common vessel, especially in these parts."
- ―Hector Barbossa to pirates at Shipwreck Cove[src]
A sloop was a fore-and-aft rigged ship type, normally with only one mast. Larger square rigged sloops with two masts were known as brigs or brig-sloops, while sloop-of-war was a name given to square rigged three masted ships with under 24 cannons. A war sloop was a name given to a two masted fore-and-aft rigged sloop.
Sloops were used both as merchant as pirate ships, in fact it was the most common type of pirate ships as they were fast and agile and required a very small minimal crew (even a one-man crew could be enough for a small sloop) but could also carry up to 100 men. Pirate sloops normally carried 60 to 80 crewmen and 0 to 16 cannons on one deck on the sides. The British Royal Navy sloops had a comparable crew and artillery but merchant ships had much smaller crews.
Most single masted sloops had their mast placed one third down the ship from the front. Sloops with their masts directly in the center of the vessel were known as cutters.
Single masted sloops were usually gaff or fore-and-aft rigged, meaning that they had a gaff sail stretching from the mast to the back, and one or two jib sails or genoa sails. This rig allows a sloop extreme maneuverability, and allows the craft to sail very well at beam reach or beside the wind, meaning that the wind is coming directly from starboard or port side of the vessel. Square topsails or other sails are optional for better running (sailing with the wind coming from your back). War sloops are very similar, but with a second mast behind the main carrying a lateen sail.
Sloops-of-War are completely square rigged, with one gaff-sail and a couple of jibs besides.
- Grim Reaper
- French Blood Scourge
- French Cerberus
- French Shadow Crow
- Sea Viper
- Spanish Blood Scourge
- Spanish Cerberus
- Spanish Shadow Crow
Behind the scenes
- The sloop is one of the four ship classes in Pirates of the Caribbean Online. In Pirates Online, a "war sloop" is a name given to a two masted fore-and-aft rigged sloop.
- Pirates of the Caribbean (game) (First appearance)
- Jack Sparrow: The Age of Bronze
- The Price of Freedom
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (video game)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Isles of War
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest