A shrunken head was a severed and specially prepared human head that was used for trophy, ritual, or trade purposes.
During the Age of Piracy, headhunting has occurred in many regions of the world, but the practice of headshrinking has only been documented in the northwestern region of the Amazon rain forest in South America.
Through unknown circumstances, when Jack Sparrow's mother died, her head was cut off and shrunk and was put into the care of Jack's father, Captain Edward Teague. Shortly after the Fourth Brethren Court, Teague showed this grisly effigy to Jack. During the Quest for the Fountain of Youth, the infamous pirate Blackbeard kept a shrunken head on the table in the captain's cabin of his ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Several toys and accessories have shrunken heads. One Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End action figure has Jack Sparrow with a "Cannibal Shrunken Head". There is also a "Captain Jack Sparrow Voodoo Accessory Kit" which includes a shrunken head.
- In the At World's End video game, there are shrunken skulls found in levels. The shrunken skulls can only be used by Jack Sparrow which activates a "Jackanism", in which you instantly defeat enemies and harvest their soul for a short period of time.
- Tears of the Goddess
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (video game) (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides