Sharks (superorder Selachimorpha) were a type of fish with a full cartilaginous skeleton and a highly streamlined body. The earliest known sharks date from more than 420 million years ago.
When the rogue pirates destroyed Hector Barbossa's ship, the Cobra, many members of his crew were killed by the sharks. In the graveyard of lost ships off the coast of Isla de Muerta, where many honest sailors have been claimed by this passage, sharks inhabited these waters. When Barbossa realized that it was Will Turner's blood he really needed to lift the Aztec curse, Elizabeth Swann was worthless to him. So he didn't hesitate to make her walk the plank, to face the sharks—or a slower death on a barren island. On his neck, Scrum wore a necklace that included a lucky shark's tooth.
Behind the scenes
- Some concept art from The Curse of the Black Pearl had sharks, mainly the art focusing on the cursed crew or the Black Pearl. For unknown reasons, sharks could only be seen at swimming under a graveyard of lost ships in the final cut.
- Originally, Davy Jones had, as noted in The Complete Visual Guide: "black eyes as soulless as a shark's." But the character's design had changed, possibly because actor Bill Nighy had blue eyes.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean Online a player who goes fishing can catch two types of sharks.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure
- Pirates of the Caribbean (game)
- The Price of Freedom (Mentioned only)
- Legends of the Brethren Court: Day of the Shadow (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Six Sea Shanties (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online
- The Return of Jack Sparrow
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Complete Visual Guide
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: The Visual Guide