|Behind the scenes|
- "I see our stray serpent is returning…"
- ―Davy Jones
A sea serpent was a mythical, snake or dragon like animal that seafaring lore would describe as a giant green monster with yellow eyes that lived in the oceans, and particularly said to appear during violent storms.
The crew of the Black Pearl had also encountered a giant serpent that was mentioned in the lore of the game Snake Eyes the very next day after they had played the game. The serpent approached the ship and swallowed the pirate Mary Bonny, who later appeared alive on a remote deserted island.
One serpent appeared to be part of the Flying Dutchman, and under the command of Captain Davy Jones. It was more free-spirited than the Kraken, sometimes swimming away from the ship on a whim. The sea serpent was sometimes used to capture sailors for Davy Jones' crew.
The sea serpent was awakened by Will Turner while he was stowing away on the Flying Dutchman. The sea serpent attempted to retrieve him, but Will managed to turn the tables and gained control of the creature.
During the War Against Piracy, the sea serpents were attacked and killed by pirate alliances because of their bodies resources were obtained for multiple things, many monsters were attacked for the same reasons as the Mermaid, the Cursed Wanderer, Ancient Octopus, Banshee, Spectral Sawfish, Mutated Whale and the Giant Lobster..
Behind the scenesEdit
- This serpent may be related to another serpent that guarded the Cloak of Caladonis on the Island of the Cloak of Caladonis. They are both green and have red eyes. However, the other serpent has several heads, and this one has only one head.
- Because the Serpiente de Muerta appeared in The Legend of Jack Sparrow, it is unknown if the serpent actually inhabited Isla de Muerta or if such a creature ever existed.
- The Rainbow Serpent and the Sea beast were possibly kin to sea serpents.
- In the game Pirates of the Caribbean Online, grape shot cannons were described in hints as being "useful" against sea serpents. Though the creature never appeared in the game, models in the developer phase files indicated that they were in development but were presumably cancelled, like many other updates.
- A sea serpent was featured in Terry Rossio's original script for Dead Men Tell No Tales.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online (Mentioned only)
- The Eyes Have It!
- The Sleeping Island!
- The Journey of Will Turner!
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer Gold
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Tides of War