|Points of interest||
Savannah EITC Office
|Behind the scenes|
- "Tomorrow Venganza and the Wicked Wench set sail for Savannah, where his ship can receive proper repairs. They have a large seaport there, and an EITC office. I plan to escort the Wench for a day or two, until we are sure all the temporary repairs are holding."
- ―Esmeralda to Ayisha[src]
Savannah was a city and a port on the east coast of the North American continent. It was one of many British colonies in North America.
- "So after the Wicked Wench was repaired, in Savannah, I headed back east. The wind worked out better that way, coming down from the north, sir."
- ―Jack Sparrow to Cutler Beckett[src]
Savannah was founded by the British in 1733. That year, 120 colonists led by General James Oglethorpe landed on a bluff high along the Savannah River. Oglethorpe named the colony "Georgia" after England's King George II. Savannah became its first city.
The plan was to offer a new start for England's working poor and to strengthen the colonies by increasing trade. The colony of Georgia was also chartered as a buffer zone for South Carolina, protecting it from the advance of the Spanish in Florida. Under the original charter, individuals were free to worship as they pleased and rum, lawyers and slavery were forbidden - for a time.
Upon settling, the colonists became friends with the local natives. The native chief Tomochichi granted the new arrivals permission to settle Savannah on the bluff. As a result, the town flourished without warfare. Soon, the East India Trading Company set an office in Savannah, and built a shipyard.
- The Price of Freedom (First appearance)