|Behind the scenes|
Bold New Horizons (Mentioned only)
Dead Men Tell No Tales (Mentioned only)
- "It's the sea god Poseidon. It's his trident. It's in a chamber somewhere below us. The trident is very powerful—it's the weapon of a god."
- ―Billy Turner
Poseidon was the legendary god of sea. He was one of the well-known sea deities of seagoing lore, with his main domain the ocean. Poseidon possessed a Trident, which could cause earthquakes, wrecking ships, summon the Kraken, and have complete control over the whole race of merfolk. According to some legends, Poseidon had a son named Triton.
Poseidon was the brother of thunder-god Zeus and underworld-god Hades, and as such, one of the most powerful gods of ancient times. His most notable weapon was a magical Trident, which could cause earthquakes, wrecking ships, summon the Kraken, and have complete control over the whole race of merfolk. With the Trident, Poseidon ruled the seas and oceans. At some point, Poseidon fell in love with the goddess Amphitrite. Together, they conceived a son, Triton.
Through unknown circumstances, Poseidon had gotten the clever god Hephaestus to create hundreds of giant enchanted gems, all different colors of the rainbow, with each color representing one of the different types of merfolk. Gathering them deep within Isla Sirena, Poseidon created a magical link between the Trident and the gems, giving him the ultimate power over every mermaid, merman, and merchild on the Seven Seas. However, the ancestors of Morveren, Aquila, and Aquala managed to get the blue stones locked away in a special chamber designed by the goddess Calypso, making all blue-tailed mermaids immune to the Trident's charms.
At some point before the quest for Poseidon's Trident the Trident was hidden at the bottom of the sea in a place called Poseidon's Tomb. However, whether Poseidon was buried there or not is unknown.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "By Poseidon's throne!"
- Though Poseidon has not made a physical appearance in the POTC universe, he is mentioned in the fifth film, Dead Men Tell No Tales and two books in the Jack Sparrow series, which focused on his Trident. Poseidon would be used as an interjection in The Legend of Jack Sparrow video game.
- Jack Sparrow: Poseidon's Peak (Mentioned only)
- Jack Sparrow: Bold New Horizons (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (Mentioned only)
- The Brightest Star in the North: The Adventures of Carina Smyth (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Mentioned only)