|For other uses, see On Stranger Tides (disambiguation)|
|For other uses, see Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (disambiguation)|
137 minutes (2 hours and 17 minutes)
- "Live Forever Or Die Trying."
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is the fourth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series, released on May 20, 2011 as the sequel to At World's End and its predecessors. The plot used common elements from the novel written by Tim Powers. The film stars Johnny Depp (Captain Jack Sparrow), Penélope Cruz (Angelica), Ian McShane (Blackbeard), and Geoffrey Rush (Barbossa). It was directed by Rob Marshall, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, and written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio.
Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Rob Marshall, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides captures the fun, excitement and humor that ignited the hit franchise—this time in Disney Digital 3D. Johnny Depp returns to his iconic role of Captain Jack Sparrow in an action-packed adventure. Crossing paths with the enigmatic Angelica (Penélope Cruz), he's not sure if it's love—or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge the ship of the legendary pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know whom to fear more: Blackbeard or Angelica, with whom he shares a mysterious past.
The international cast include franchise vets Geoffrey Rush as the vengeful Captain Hector Barbossa and Kevin R. McNally as Captain Jack's longtime comrade Joshamee Gibbs, plus Sam Claflin as a stalwart missionary and Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey as a mysterious mermaid.
The Spanish's discoveryEdit
- "No, I told you! Ponce de León died two hundred years ago."
"Aye, but he died searching for something, didn't he?"
"The Fountain of Youth...How soon can you sail?"
"With the tide."
- ―Captain, Fisherman, King Ferdinand and the Spaniard[src]
One night, off the coast of Spain, a Captain and a Fishermen discover the body of an Ancient Sailor in their fishing net. A gold-trimmed carriage races over cobblestones up from a harbor as the old castaway was brought to the royal palace in Cádiz, where he was shown before King Ferdinand (Sebastian Armesto). As the Sailor gave Ferdinand a logbook, the two fishermen told of the Sailor's stories of having sailed on Ponce de León's ship. Upon seeing an archaic symbol in the logbook, Ferdinand realized that the Sailor's stories, as well as the legends of the Fountain of Youth, were true. Ferdinand then sends his most trusted agent, known only as The Spaniard (Óscar Jaenada), to find the Fountain.
- "Then I hear a rumor. Jack Sparrow was in London, with a ship, and looking for a crew."
"But that's what I heard. Fact is, you're signing up men tonight, pub called Captain's Daughter."
- ―Joshamee Gibbs and Jack Sparrow[src]
Meanwhile in London, a trial was in session in the Old Bailey against the infamous Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), whom they mistakenly believe Joshamee Gibbs (Kevin R. McNally) to be. A mysterious Justice Smith appeared before the court, Jack Sparrow himself in disguise, and had Gibbs found guilty of being innocent of being Jack Sparrow and condemned him to life in prison. As Jack took off his disguise, Gibbs was taken away and put into a prison carriage. Having bribed the carriage driver, Jack went into the carriage to join Gibbs. Throughout the ride, Gibbs informed Jack about the rumors of him recruiting a crew for his ship in the Captain's Daughter pub, which intrigued Jack into finding the imposter.
As the carriage suddenly stopped, Jack and Gibbs found that they were surrounded by the Royal Guards at St. James's Palace; the carriage driver had received another bribe from the guards to bring Jack to them. Jack was then dragged into the palace to meet with King George II (Richard Griffiths). During the first part of the meeting, there was confusion over if Jack was the real Jack Sparrow. Though Jack tried denying it, stating the rumors of him recruiting a crew were false, the King ignored them as they went to the matter at hand. The King and his ministers asked Jack to guide an expedition to find the Fountain of Youth before the Spanish, in which Jack accepted on the condition of a ship and crew being provided. Jack was then introduced to the captain of the expedition—Hector Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), now a privateer of the Crown and now having a peg leg. Upon being asked by Jack of the fate of the Black Pearl, Barbossa revealed that he lost the Pearl, and his leg, in battle. Jack angrily reacted to this revelation, which made the King's guards restrain him. As Barbossa and the King prepared to continue with their mission, Jack made one of his legendary escapes.
Jack was able to escape the palace and, after robbing a noblewoman, be in a carriage chase through London's streets. Jack was able to escape the King's Guards, except for one, who aimed his rifle right at him. Jack was saved by his father, Captain Teague (Keith Richards). At the Captain's Daughter, Teague informed Jack of the Profane Ritual, as well as one of the items needed for it, two silver Chalices. Although Teague advised Jack against setting sail until he knew every detail, he pointed Jack to the group who were recruiting a crew, led by Scrum (Stephen Graham). Before leaving, Teague warned Jack that the Fountain would "test" him.
In the storeroom of the Captain's Daughter, Jack confronted the imposter, who he engaged with in a stalemate duel. Jack soon realized who the imposter was—his former love, Angelica (Penélope Cruz). The two had a brief reunion with Angelica asking Jack about the Fountain of Youth. Suddenly, the King's guards arrive and engage Jack and Angelica in a fight. Jack and Angelica were able to escape by jumping into the River Thames. As the two go ashore, Jack inquired about the ritual, which Angelica knew about, and what was required. Angelica told Jack that a mermaid was needed as her associate drugs Jack with a dart which instantly knocks him out.
Gibbs was later dragged into the execution courtyard of the Tower of London. Accompanied by Groves (Greg Ellis) and Gillette (Damian O'Hare), Barbossa threatened to hang Gibbs if he didn't reveal any useful information. Gibbs then revealed to be in possession of a map, which Barbossa wanted, before he burnt it. But because Gibbs memorized every route and destination on the map, Barbossa recruited him into his crew.
Aboard the Queen Anne's RevengeEdit
- "Where am I?"
" 'Scuse me, Captain Sparrow, sir. I be right honored to welcome you aboard our world-renowned vessel of infamy—Queen Anne's Revenge."
- ―Jack Sparrow and Scrum[src]
About five days later, Jack woke up aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the notorious pirate, Blackbeard (Ian McShane). While working on deck, Scrum told Jack of the crewmen who were zombiefied as well as the imprisonment of Philip Swift (Sam Claflin), a missionary captured in a raid. Upon learning that their First Mate was Angelica, Jack went to confront her. Angelica convinced Jack that she was able to con Blackbeard into believing that she was his daughter. She also revealed that he wanted to find the Fountain of Youth because of a prophecy, foreseen by the Quartermaster, that revealed his death at the hands of a one legged man.
Aboard the ProvidenceEdit
- "The Fountain is the prize. It appears we be not even worth the time it take to sink us. Now, we've fallen behind!"
- ―Hector Barbossa to his crew[src]
Meanwhile, Barbossa had Gibbs brought to the helm of the HMS Providence to provide a heading. Gibbs stated that they were going the right direction as three Spanish galleons, belonging to the Spaniard's crew, were sailing towards them. Barbossa, Groves and Gillette immediately ordered the crewmen to battle stations. However, the Spanish galleons simply passed by without fire. Barbossa deduced that for the Spanish, the Fountain of Youth was the prize and that they weren't worth the time to sink. Knowing that the Providence had fallen behind in the race to the Fountain, Barbossa ordered the crew to make more sail.
- "That knife will serve you no better than the mutiny you devised."
"Mutiny served me well. It gained me an audience with you."
- ―Blackbeard and Jack Sparrow[src]
As Queen Anne's Revenge sailed into the dusk of evening, Jack met with some of the crewmen to discuss the topic of mutiny. Jack informed the crewmen that they were deceived by not being told of their destination—the Fountain of Youth. The crewmen then knew that death was for certain, unless they took the ship. As the crew began their attack, Jack locked Angelica in her cabin. Throughout the mutiny aboard the Revenge, Angelica escaped from her cabin to join the fight and Philip was rescued from the mast by Jack and Salaman. However, at the moment of triumph, Blackbeard himself appeared and used his sword to hang the crewmen with the ship's rigging.
After attempting to kill Jack and Philip, Blackbeard punished the Cook by firing Greek fire cannons at him. Jack was then brought into Blackbeard's cabin, where Blackbeard revealed that he must reach the Fountain of Youth before the prophecy of his death comes true. Jack then tried to warn Blackbeard that Angelica was not his daughter. Though Blackbeard didn't believe him, Jack tried to convince him otherwise. Angelica entered the cabin as Blackbeard started to torture Jack with a voodoo doll. Blackbeard's manipulation on the doll forced Jack to reconsider helping Blackbeard in his quest.
Voyage at seaEdit
- "You've nay been informed of the destination. Death lies before us, as we sail...for the Fountain of Youth."
- ―Jack Sparrow[src]
Aboard the Providence, after Groves reported rumors of their destination, Barbossa revealed to the crew that they were sailing to Whitecap Bay, home of mermaids. The crew started to fear the worst, even leading one of its members to jump overboard. However, Barbossa managed to inspire confidence into the men by asking them if they were King's men. And so Barbossa ordered the Providence to set full sail for Whitecap Bay.
Later, Jack and Angelica would have a drink and enter into a dance aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge. While they danced, Angelica revealed the Profane Ritual to Jack: water from the Fountain of Youth, a mermaid's tear, and the Silver Chalices of Cartagena. She also revealed that the items would be used to take all the years of life from another. As a bribe, Angelica showed Jack a cabinet filled with ships in a bottle—with the Black Pearl among them, with Jack the monkey inside. Angelica told Jack that she needed those years for Blackbeard, claiming that she was truly his daughter. Jack tried to warn Angelica, saying that Blackbeard would kill her, given the chance.
One of the items needed for the ritual was a mermaid's tear, so Blackbeard's crew arrived to Whitecap Bay to hunt a mermaid. Several longboats were sent out as bait. After being forced to sing by Gunner, Scrum sang My Jolly Sailor Bold to attract the mermaids. A mermaid (Gemma Ward) soon appeared and seduced Scrum with her beauty while singing My Jolly Sailor Bold to attract more mermaids. After the mermaid revealed her true form, a full-blown mermaid attack commenced. It soon turned into a slaughter as more crewmen were taken by mermaids. And so Jack Sparrow made the lighthouse explode, which made the mermaids swim away. With the assistance of Philip, Blackbeard's men were able to capture a young mermaid (Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey).
Later, the Providence arrived to the Bay with Barbossa bringing a landing party ashore to the aftermath of the prior attack. The crew soon witnessed mermaids attacking the rest of the crew aboard the Providence. Though Barbossa ordered to continue on, Groves refused to abandon his men. He changed his mind after Barbossa pulled a pistol on him. As the Providence sunk beneath the waters, the rest of the crew followed Gibbs on their next heading.
- "How much farther to the Fountain? I'm running out of time."
"...About a day's march north following that river, get to a series of pools, then you're close."
- ―Blackbeard and Jack Sparrow[src]
Blackbeard's crew soon continued their quest in the jungles of a mysterious island. They needed to find another item needed for the ritual, the Chalices. Guided by Jack Sparrow, who held a mystical compass, the crew had to find Ponce de León's ship, the Santiago. The crew would soon arrive to a steep cliff, where Blackbeard took Jack's compass and forced him to jump. Though he refused at first, Jack eventually made the jump after the Quartermaster assured of his survival by throwing the Jack voodoo doll over the cliff. As Jack made his way towards the Santiago, the rest of Blackbeard's crew continued on their journey.
Barbossa's crew walked through dark jungles, where Barbossa and Gibbs argued about it being nice to have a map or a ship. Around this point, Barbossa started collecting dart-frogs in a jar. Simultaneously, Jack raced through jungles and a deserted beach as he finds the Santiago, perched on a cliff. He walked towards the mountainside where he would start climbing towards the shipwreck.
Throughout the journey through dense-jungle, Blackbeard's zombie crew carried the captured mermaid in a glass coffin. After the tank dropped to the ground, the mermaid fell to the ground and transformed as her tail turned into a pair of human legs. Philip gave her his shirt to cover her as Blackbeard ordered her to walk. But as she couldn't stand up, Philip decided to carry her. Soon Philip and the mermaid would connect by discovering more of their true beings. When Blackbeard referred the mermaid as "the creature", Philip demanded she'd be called Syrena.
Meanwhile, Jack made it into the Santiago, where lay the corpse of Ponce de León. After reuniting with Barbossa, Jack would learn that the Spanish stole the Chalices. Looking on Ponce de León's map of Fort San Miguel, Barbossa found where the Spanish camp was located. Jack and Barbossa met with the rest of Barbossa's crew, where Jack briefly reunited with Gibbs before the crew continued on towards the camp.
The Tear and the ChalicesEdit
- "What was the Ritual again? Water from the Fountain, and a mermaid's tear..."
"And two silver Chalices."
- ―Jack Sparrow and Angelica[src]
After arriving to the pools where mermaids were previously harvested of their tears, Blackbeard tried to force Syrena to cry. But she would not yield. So Blackbeard, upon learning that Syrena and Philip fancy each other, decided to use Philip. He had the Quartermaster kill Philip in front of Syrena. However, Syrena still didn't cry, so Blackbeard left her. After Philip woke up with a dart on his chest, he ran to free Syrena. Amazed by Philip's survival, she smiled with tears in her eyes. Blackbeard's crew appeared to retrieved the tear. Though Philip told Blackbeard to let her go, Syrena was left to die with the other mermaids.
Meanwhile, Jack and Barbossa infiltrated the Spanish camp, where Barbossa revealed that his sword was poisoned from poisonous frogs. After successfully stealing the Chalices from a Spanish officer, Jack and Barbossa were captured and tied around palm trees. They exchanged drinks from the rum supply in Barbossa's peg leg as Barbossa revealed his desire for revenge against Blackbeard for his attack on the Black Pearl, where Barbossa cut off his leg to survive. After hearing this, Jack agreed to help Barbossa. With Jack's improvisation, they were able to escape with the Chalices.
Jack would later rejoin with Blackbeard, accompanied with only Gibbs, where he would present the Chalices. But instead of handing them over, Jack offered them with a few conditions: no harm was to come to Angelica, the return of his compass, and the freedom of Gibbs. Blackbeard impatiently considered it done and received the Chalices from Gibbs. Jack gave his compass to Gibbs, saying "this will lead you to freedom, mate," as he continued on with Blackbeard's crew towards the Fountain of Youth.
The Fountain of YouthEdit
After leading Blackbeard's crew to a cave entrance and reading Aqua de Vida from the Chalices, Jack found the Fountain of Youth. Barbossa would appear to challenge Blackbeard and a battle commenced. While Philip escaped to free Syrena, Jack and Angelica fought for the Chalices. The Spaniard's crew later arrived to destroy the Fountain. After confronting the Spaniard, Blackbeard was stabbed by Barbossa's poisoned sword. Angelica tried to help her father, but, despite Jack's attempt to warn her, cuts her hand, poisoning herself as well. Having achieved his goal, Barbossa took Blackbeard's sword and left, claiming Blackbeard's ship and crew as his own, at which time the Scrum and Blackbeard's other crewmen joined him. After the Fountain of Youth was destroyed, the Spanish leave.
Syrena appeared from one of the pools, presenting the Chalices to Jack before disappearing. Jack managed to fill each Chalice with a few drops of water from the Fountain before it dried up, and added the mermaid's tear to one of the cups. Blackbeard drank the Chalice with the tear and Angelica drank the other. However, Jack revealed that he may have switched them. Almost instantly, Angelica's wound healed as the flowing waters of the Fountain rushed towards Blackbeard. Angelica stared in horror as Blackbeard's skeleton collapsed, dead.
- "My mind is at peace. Because of you."
"Yes. I was lost. The wind, the tides...they were to renew a man's faith. For me, only you."
- ―Syrena and Philip Swift[src]
Philip, mortally wounded, finds Syrena in the pools. In their reunion, they make amends, with Syrena offering to save the fatally injured Philip and Philip asking Syrena for forgiveness. Syrena kisses Philip and takes him underwater with her. Meanwhile, Jack would take Angelica aboard a row boat and maroon her at Sola Fide Beach, with a pistol with one shot. Despite Angelica's best attempts to escape with him, Jack still leaves her. As Jack left, Angelica used her one shot from her pistol to fire at Jack but misses.
Meanwhile, accompanied by Blackbeard's remaining crewmen, Barbossa finds the Queen Anne's Revenge and takes full command as its new captain. Redressed in his full pirate regalia, Barbossa used the power of his new sword to make the Revenge set sail for Tortuga. Back on the sandy shore, Jack rejoined Gibbs, who managed to steal the bottled Pearl, along with the other shrunken ships, from Blackbeard's cabin. While they have no idea how to get it out of the bottle and into her normal size, both pirates were determined to continue living a pirate's life as they walked during a Caribbean sunset.
Later, during the sunset, Angelica sits alone on Sola Fide Beach. As if delivered by fate, Angelica finds the Jack voodoo doll as it washed up ashore. She smiled slyly as she held the doll.
- Johnny Depp ... Jack Sparrow
- Penélope Cruz ... Angelica
- Geoffrey Rush ... Barbossa
- Ian McShane ... Blackbeard
- Kevin R. McNally ... Gibbs
- Sam Claflin ... Philip
- Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey ... Syrena
- Stephen Graham... Scrum
- Keith Richards ... Captain Teague
- Richard Griffiths ... King George
- Greg Ellis ... Groves
- Damian O'Hare ... Gillette
- Óscar Jaenada ... The Spaniard
- Anton Lesser ... Lord John Carteret
- Roger Allam ... Prime Minister Henry Pelham
- Judi Dench... Society Lady
- Christopher Fairbank ... Ezekiel
- Paul Bazely ... Salaman
- Bronson Webb ... Cook
- Richard Thomson ... Derrick
- Yuki Matsuzaki ... Garheng
- Robbie Kay ... Cabin Boy
- Steve Evets ... Purser
- Ian Mercer ... Quartermaster
- Deobia Oparei ... Gunner
- Gemma Ward ... Tamara—First Mermaid
- Sebastian Armesto ... King Ferdinand
- Juan Carlos Vellido ... Spanish Sea Captain
- Tristan Laurence Perez ... Spanish Fisherman
- Norberto Morán ... Spanish Castaway
- Gerard Monaco ... Spanish Officer
- Tyrone Lopez ... Spanish Soldier
- Luke Roberts ... Captain of the Guard
- Daniel Ings ... Guard
- Emilia Jones ... English Girl
- Patrick Kennedy ... English Father
- Jody Halse ... Jailor
- Clifford Rose ... Bailiff
- Paul Hunter ... Foreman
- Jorgelina Guadalupe Airaldi ... Mermaid
- Brea Berrett ...
- Toni Busker ...
- Sanya Hughes ...
- Daphne Joy ...
- Antoinette Nikprelaj ... Mermaids
- Derek Mears ... Master-at-Arms
- Danny Le Boyer ... Yeoman
- Kitt Barrie ... Courtroom Wench
- Steve Morphew ... Courtroom Heckler
- Alan Utley-Moore ... Justice Smith
- Michael Rosales ... Queen Anne's Revenge Pirate #1
- Martin Pierron ... Queen Anne's Revenge Pirate #2
- Azmyth Kaminski ... Queen Anne's Revenge Pirate #3
- Salomon Passariello ... Queen Anne's Pirate #1
- Matt Lasky ... Queen Anne's Pirate #2
- Richard Stephens ... Spanish Lieutenant
- Taylor Young ... Providence Sailor
- David Pinkus ... London Town Crier
- Boyd Clack ... Old Bill (deleted scene)
As On Stranger Tides was worked out as a "stand-alone type of story", the majority of these appearances are considered first appearances. Of the previous film installments, only six characters return in On Stranger Tides: Jack Sparrow, Hector Barbossa, Joshamee Gibbs, Edward Teague, Theodore Groves, and Gillette.
For character appearances with known portrayers see the "Cast" section.
- Jack Sparrow
- Hector Barbossa
- Joshamee Gibbs
- Philip Swift
- Edward Teague
- George II of Great Britain
- Theodore Groves
- John Carteret
- Henry Pelham
- Society Lady
- Cabin Boy
- Ferdinand VI of Spain
- Spanish Sea Captain
- Spanish Fisherman
- Spanish Castaway
- Spanish Officer
- Spanish Soldier
- Captain of the Guard
- English Girl
- English Father
- London Town Crier
- Juan Ponce de León (as a skeletal corpse)
- Jack Sparrow's mother (as a shrunken head)
- Angelica's mother (Mentioned only)
- Poison dart frog (First appearance)
- Jack the Monkey
- Cotton's Parrot
- Dog (Mentioned only)
- Goat (Mentioned only)
- Logbook of the Santiago (First appearance)
- Pirate Execution sign (First appearance)
- Mao Kun Map
- Flintlock pistol
- Profane Ritual (First appearance)
- Chalices of Cartagena (First appearance)
- Glass Coffin
All of these locations first appear in On Stranger Tides.
- Great Britain
- Ireland (Mentioned only)
- Unnamed island
- Hispaniola (Mentioned only)
- Saint Dominique (First mentioned)
- La Martinique (Mentioned only)
- Sola Fide Beach
- Tortuga (Mentioned only)
- New Guinea (First mentioned)
Organizations and groupsEdit
- British Empire
- Spanish Empire
- Spaniard's crew (First appearance)
- Crew of the Queen Anne's Revenge (First appearance)
- Zombie Officers (First appearance)
- Crew of the Black Pearl (Mentioned only)
- Motley crew (Mentioned only)
All of these ships first appear in On Stranger Tides, save for the Black Pearl.
According to Jim Hill Media's report on The Art of Pirates of the Caribbean, the proposed story for the fourth Pirates movie was for Jack Sparrow and Barbossa to meet up in the newly-founded city of New Orleans, before they sail to find the Fountain of Youth together. But the idea was later confirmed to be false.
Author Tim Powers revealed that Disney was interested in buying the film rights to his 1987 pirate novel, On Stranger Tides, before the second or third film were released. Around April 2006 or 2007, Disney decided to buy the book's film rights. It was speculated that the film's plot will follow the novel's, with Jack Sparrow replacing the novel's protagonist, Jack Shandy. Pirates writer, Terry Rossio, revealed that they would use elements from the novel, but the film would not be based on it.
In September 2009, Dick Cook, Chairman of Walt Disney Studios, resigned after holding his position for over 38 years. The circumstances of his resignation are unknown, but most speculate he resigned due to his conflicting business tactics with CEO Bob Iger. Iger sought out "new ways of doing business", while Cook remained a traditionalist. After Cook's resignation, Johnny Depp's faith in returning as Jack in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was somewhat shaken, with Depp explaining:
"There’s a fissure, a crack in my enthusiasm at the moment. It was all born in that office". Depp also explained Cook was one of the few that accepted his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow, claiming that "When things went a little sideways on the first Pirates movie and others at the studio were less than enthusiastic about my interpretation of the character, Dick was there from the first moment. He trusted me."
On November 15, 2009, Disney has announced that they would pay Johnny Depp $55.5 million to return as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Disney announced, on January 7, 2010, that Pirates 4 would be released on May 20, 2011.
During February 2010, the Sunset, the ship that played the Black Pearl in the second and third film, set sail to Hawaii to prepare for the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides during the summer of 2010. The ship was reconstructed to portray the Queen Anne's Revenge.
In April 9th, 2010, British actor Stephen Graham was confirmed as Scrum, a pirate character for the film. On April 14, 2010, Walt Disney Pictures confirmed that French actress, Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey, would be in the film as a mermaid named Syrena. On April 16, 2010, Sam Claflin was confirmed to play a missionary named Philip.
Johnny Depp previously stated that he would love to play Captain Jack Sparrow again, but only if the script was good. On September 25, 2008, Walt Disney Pictures, with Depp, formally announced that he was signed on for the fourth film. Geoffrey Rush also expressed interest in returning to the role of Captain Hector Barbossa, and later signed on.
After filming for At World's End was completed, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom both announced that they would not be reprising their roles, as they wanted to pursue different projects, and they felt that the Will/Elizabeth storyline had gone as far as it could. It has since been confirmed that neither Bloom or Knightley are returning. On February 5, 2010, Mackenzie Crook, who played Ragetti in the films, stated that he would not return because he wanted to spend more time with his family.
Returning cast members include Keith Richards, who played Captain Teague in At World's End, Greg Ellis as Theodore Groves, Damian O'Hare as Gillette, and Kevin McNally as Joshamee Gibbs. Derek Mears, who portrayed a stuntman in the first film and second film, would return in On Stranger Tides as Master-at-Arms, one of Blackbeard's zombies.
New cast members include Ian McShane, who portrayed the notorious pirate, Blackbeard, and Penélope Cruz, who portrayed Blackbeard's daughter, Angelica (also Jack Sparrow's love interest). Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey played a mermaid named Syrena, and Sam Claflin played a missionary named Philip. Stephen Graham portrayed Scrum, a Machiavellian pirate.
Some of the new characters were part of the British or the Spanish, which was a new element brought into the films, and so some English and Spanish actors were cast. The cast included Richard Griffiths as King George II, Óscar Jaenada as the Spaniard, and Sebastian Armesto as King Ferdinand. Luke Roberts and Judi Dench were confirmed as part of the cast as well.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides began filming on June 14, 2010, with their budget of $250 million. Filming was scheduled to move to California in August 2010, and some scenes were filmed at Pinewood Studios in London.
On June 15, 2010, the first pictures of Blackbeard's ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, were revealed. On June 21, 2010, it was announced that production would be occurring simultaneously in Hawaii, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, on the island of Palominos, and Los Angeles, California.
Penélope Cruz was pregnant throughout production, but it wasn't noticeable until September, 2010. As Penélope's baby bump grew, it caused some difficulties in wardrobe, so the producers enlisted the help of Cruz's younger identical sister, Mónica Cruz. According to reports, Penélope filmed the close-up shots, while Mónica doubled for her in the long-distance scenes as the wardrobe department had struggled to hide the pregnancy.
Filming ended on November 19, 2010.
Check out more images and videos in the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides/Gallery!
Behind the scenesEdit
After the release of At World's End, Disney announced a possibility of a fourth Pirates film. The proposed title for the fourth film, which was highly used by both fans and critics, was Pirates of the Caribbean: The Fountain of Youth. However, during the D23 Expo on September 11, 2009, Johnny Depp, as Captain Jack Sparrow, officially announced that the title of the fourth Pirates film would be Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. It was later confirmed by Tim Powers that Disney bought the film rights to his novel, On Stranger Tides. Pirates writer Terry Rossio stated that common elements from the novel were used for the script.
Hans Zimmer began working on the musical score on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in January 2011. Zimmer worked with composer Eric Whitacre along with Whitacre's wife, Hila Plitmann, on the mermaid theme for the film. The Mexican guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriela also collaborated with Zimmer in writing and recording the score.  Mitchell Leib, President of Music and Soundtracks for the Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Group stated:
"We'd always felt it a creative necessity that the 'Pirates of the Caribbean 4' score have an original sound all its own and to distinguish itself from the first three films. With the inspiring addition of Rodrigo y Gabriela's unique artistry under the direction of maestro Hans 'Long John' Zimmer, this iconic score franchise take its next step forward with an imaginative, fresh and individual new sound."
The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides soundtrack was released on May 17, 2011.
- On July 22, 2010, during the San Diego Comic-Con, Johnny Depp appeared as Captain Jack Sparrow on screen to attendees, stating that he would not be recruiting a crew for a voyage to the Fountain of Youth. He also said that if that were the case, such a journey would involve dangers such as "zombies, cutthroats, mermaids, and the vicious and vivacious Penélope Cruz." 
- Jerry Bruckheimer announced that the film's teaser trailer would premiere in front of Tron: Legacy on Friday December 17, 2010. It was later confirmed that the trailer would premiere online on December 13, 2010.
- On April 2011 , Disney Mobile together with Indiagames released a mobile game of the same name for the mobile phone, it follows the same plot from the movie and allows gamers to take control of Jack Sparrow.
On Stranger Tides was released on Disney DVD and Blu-ray on September 12, 2011 in the United Kingdom. It was released on October 18, 2011 in the United States.. The cover art for the film covers on Blu-ray and DVD was been released a few months prior. Bonus features in the 5-disc edition include:
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in 3D
- Disney Second Screen
- Audio Commentary with Rob Marshall and John DeLuca
- Bloopers of the Caribbean
- LEGO Animated Shorts: Captain Jack's Brick Tales
- Deleted/Extended Scenes With Introductions by Rob Marshall
- Legends of On Stranger Tides
- In Search of the Fountain
- Under the Scene: Bringing Mermaids to Life
- Johnny vs. Geoffrey
- Easter Eggs
- Bloopers of the Caribbean
- LEGO Animated Shorts: Captain Jack's Brick Tales
- Digital Copy
- This film takes place several years after the battle from At World's End.
- On Stranger Tides is the first of the main POTC films not directed by Gore Verbinski. He was replaced by Rob Marshall.
- Only six of the cast who appeared in the previous Pirates films returned in character in On Stranger Tides: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Kevin McNally, Keith Richards, Greg Ellis and Damian O'Hare. Only three have been featured in all three films: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush and Kevin McNally.
- On Stranger Tides was the film that marked Jack Sparrow as the main protagonist of the Pirates films. According to the film scriptwriters, Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, the first three Pirates were all centered around Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann, particularly stating that they believed it was Elizabeth's story.
- Tim Powers' novel, On Stranger Tides, was used in the making of this Pirates film.
- According to Pirates writer Terry Rossio, the seed of this film was actually a single image:
- When making The Curse of the Black Pearl, the scriptwriters revealed that they placed the story in a thirty-year environment set loosely between 1720 and 1750. They also said that they did not intend the films to be entirely historically accurate. However, it was revealed through production designer John Myhre that On Stranger Tides is set in 1750.
- While filming On Stranger Tides, filming took place two months in Hawaii (one month Kauai, one month Oahu), three weeks in Los Angeles, one week in Puerto Rico, and two months in the United Kingdom.
- On Stranger Tides is the second Pirates film to make one billion dollars globally from ticket sales (the first being Dead Man's Chest).
- This is the first POTC film to reveal the subtitle before "Pirates of the Caribbean" in the main title sequence.
- This is the first movie to not inlcude Keira Knightley (Elizabeth Swann) or Orlando Bloom (Will Turner) on the DVD cover, however this was Geoffrey Rush's third appearance on the DVD cover, tying him with Knightley and Bloom.
- In the ending credits for On Stranger Tides, the music and songs were credited as followed.
- Official website
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides on Wikipedia
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides at Yahoo! Movies
- ↑ http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Huntingdon-St-Ives-St-Neots/Actor-steals-thunder-and-plunder-as-film-pirate.htm
- ↑ Pirates Pics/ Terry Rossio confirms OST "stand-alone"
- ↑ "The Art of the Pirates of the Caribbean" pays tribute to this film trilogy's talented production design team
- ↑ 'Pirates of the Caribbean' spokesman lets the wind out of the sails of New Orleans fans
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59830
- ↑ Bruckheimer on Pirates 4, Lone Ranger and National Treasure 3 Retrieved on 2009-09-14.
- ↑ http://thefilmstage.com/2010/05/17/pirates-of-the-caribbean-on-stranger-tides-will-be-shot-in-disney-digital-3d/
- ↑ In Disney Future with Johnny Depp Retrieved on 2009-09-14.
- ↑ Keira Knightley Will Not Return for Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 Retrieved on 2009-09-14.
- ↑ http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4618746&id=61944121528
- ↑ http://www.ambarussa.net/movies.html
- ↑ http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/859550/pirates-of-the-caribbean-4/videos/pop_jb_pirates4.html
- ↑ http://www.fromdusktillcon.com/content/36-showcase/1642-exclusive-interview-derek-mears
- ↑ http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22697
- ↑ Bruckheimer on Pirates 4 Cast
- ↑ http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2010/06/03/stephen-graham-joins-pirates-of-the-caribbean-4-cast/
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71205
- ↑ http://www.cine365.com/noticia/oscar-jaenada-estara-en-piratas-del-caribe-4%25C2%25BB&prev=/
- ↑ http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/sebastian-armesto/
- ↑ http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jOpBXnyRG_eD4SOPCJidxh9sGRkg
- ↑ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1326798/Johnny-Depp-shiver-Judi-Denchs-timbers-new-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-movie.html
- ↑ 
- ↑ http://twitter.com/BruckheimerJB/status/16181655179
- ↑ http://www.pinewoodgroup.com/2010/08/pirates
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65721
- ↑ thehdroom.com
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=67175
- ↑ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1327345/Pregnant-Penelope-Cruz-leaves-London-LOT-luggage.html
- ↑ http://twitter.com/BruckheimerJB/status/5786179723067393
- ↑ http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1872281/jack_sparrow_returns_in_pirates_of.html
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/d23exponews.php?id=59033
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72037
- ↑ http://ericwhitacre.com/blog/pirates-iv
- ↑ http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=187564681263048&id=6290062228
- ↑ "Rodrigo y Gabriela's Twitter Status 20/01/2011"
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74612
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68177
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70692
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72029
- ↑ http://twitter.com/#!/BRUCKHEIMERJB/status/91268203963101184
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 It was revealed that On Stranger Tides place in 1750. However, the exact time that had passed between At World's End and On Stranger Tides has yet to be revealed. All is known is that it takes place several years after At World's End, according to a statement from the film's visual guide: The quest for the Fountain of Youth began several years back after a pirate showdown with the East India Company..
- ↑ 
- ↑ http://collider.com/pirates-caribbean-4-on-stranger-tides-set-visit-video-blog/74306/
- ↑ http://twitter.com/#!/BRUCKHEIMERJB/status/76337587719114753