|This article is about the real-world video game. You may be looking for the pirate ghost fleet of the similar name.|
- "In a battle to save your soul. Will you choose legendary? Or will you be dreaded? The choice is yours."
Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned was an action role-playing video game developed by Propaganda Games and published by Disney Interactive Studios for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Windows. The game takes place in the open environment of the Caribbean where the player assumes the role of Captain James Sterling who must travel around the world to make a reputation for himself. Although it was expected to be released in February 1, 2011, it was cancelled on October 13, 2010.
Live to tell the tale of becoming a notorious pirate captain or suffer a fate of eternal damnation. Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned is an epic, action role-playing game that offers an entirely new experience within the Pirates of the Caribbean universe. The game takes place before the events of the blockbuster films. Players will take on the role of a pirate and embark on epic land and sea adventures. Numerous moral and character choices will need to be made that affect their character and the original story within the world. Players will explore a massive open world while fighting enemies, mystical creatures and Mother Nature, both to gain experience and stay alive. Supernatural elements familiar to the Pirates of the Caribbean world will also affect their character's story and influence their choices.
No specific date for the game is given, but the appearance of the official flag of Great Britain indicates that the events of the game are placed somewhere during, or after 1707. Some say that the events in the game are placed ten or fifteen years before the events of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film. However, with the appearance of a living Black Bart, it is possible the game is set sometime between 1719 and 1722.
The player is free to move around the world and has various attacks mapped to certain buttons on the controller. James Sterling has a light and heavy melee attack which can be linked together to create combos. Sterling is also able to weaken enemies by cursing them. Finishing off a cursed enemy will inflict the curse on nearby enemies. The game also has a blocking system which allows for a counter attack.
The player will also have a ship. The ship will allow the player to explore the Caribbean as well as engage in ship combat. The player can choose between attacking a ship's hull, sails, or crew. Attacking the hull will sink the ship, going after the sails will damage their ability to move, and taking out the crew will make boarding easier. As with ground battles, Sterling has special abilities to help him in combat.
Early on the player must choose between two paths: becoming a "Legendary pirate" or a "Dreaded pirate". Occasionally, the player will be able to make choices from the other path. These choices affect things such as Sterling's appearance, personality, weapons, attack, quests available, and the game's ending. The player can also customize their character by choosing which skills to put their experience points in.
- Captain James Sterling (First appearance)
- Admiral Maldonado (First appearance)
- Tia Dalma
- Penny Jones (First appearance)
- Nemesis gunner (First appearance)
- William McDougless (First appearance)
- Harold Bowman (First appearance)
- Juan Francisco (First appearance)
- Beatrice Bonnet (First appearance)
- Pierre La Croix (First appearance)
- Jacob Hornpipe (First appearance)
- Sightless Sam
- El Caleuche (First appearance)
- Black Bart
- Nero Rye
Organizations and groups
- British Empire
- Spanish Empire
- Dutch Fleet
- Dutch Guards
- French Royal Navy
- French Musketeers
- Portuguese Armada
- Portuguese Army
- Nemesis (First appearance)
- El Caleuche's ship (First appearance)
- Black Barnacle (First appearance)
- Maldonado's ship (First appearance)
- British galleon (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned on Wikipedia
- Pre-E3 2009: Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned Unveiled - IGN
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned | GamesRadar
Notes and references
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned Interview: Propaganda Games' Alex Peters - G4tv.com
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned Cancelled - IGN
- ↑ Xbox 360 Preview: Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned Gameplay Preview - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine
- ↑ Armada of the Damned Is All About Choices - Kotaku