|Behind the scenes|
- "Nassau. Lovely town. So much to see and do. But I'd picked a rueful time to visit, for the eve of my arrival the town came under siege by Black Smoke James—named for the cloud of black smoke he created to baffle his enemies. He was desirous to appoint himself magistrate of the island—a detail of grave concern to the man who a priori held the position."
- ―Jack Sparrow[src]
Nassau, originally named Charles Town and often referred to as Nassau Port, was the only port on the island of New Providence. The town was the largest commercial center in the Bahamas, a group of islands in the Atlantic Ocean close to the Caribbean Sea. In one of his many adventures, Captain Jack Sparrow would have sacked Nassau without firing a shot.
- "But you're Captain Jack Sparrow. You vanished from under the eyes of seven agents of the East India Company. You sacked Nassau Port without firing a shot. Are you the pirate I've read about or not?"
- ―Elizabeth Swann to Jack Sparrow[src]
Originally a privateer anchorage named Charles Town, Nassau was burned down by the Spaniards in 1684, and was renamed Nassau in 1695 once it had been rebuilt. Nassau was named in honor of King William III, who was from the House of Orange-Nassau.
Between 1700 and 1718, Nassau was known as a pirate's nest and was the home of many notorious pirates. The ex-privateer Henry Jennings was an unofficial leader of the community. When New Providence became a British colony in 1717, the first governor, a former privateer named Woodes Rogers, established law and order in 1718, when he hunted down and expelled the pirates who had used the island as base. Rogers famously called for the arrest of pirates Calico Jack, Anne Bonny, and Mary Reade, who were later captured by Jamaican authorities. After Rogers' death in 1732, Nassau was ruled by it's Magistrate.
In one of his many adventures, Captain Jack Sparrow, reportedly sacked the port of Nassau without firing a single shot. An exaggerated version of this story, which had Jack and Elizabeth Swann fighting against Black Smoke James, was told by Jack himself to Hector Barbossa in the captain's cabin of the Black Pearl, which itself was also part of a story Jack told as "his last words" while facing the gallows in Fort Alvo Grande.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The sack of Nassau, as it appeared in The Legend of Jack Sparrow, was most likely a fictionalized version of the event, as Elizabeth Swann was at his side during the encounter.
- Nassau appears in the video game Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. But, since that game was canceled, it is unknown if the town's appearance in the game is canon or not.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (First mentioned)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow