|This article is about the piece of metal used as a fashion accessory. You may be looking for the Aztec Gold medallion.|
- "Barbara, Barbara, I'm sorry. You've been amazing."
"I know, and I think I deserve a little appreciation, that's all."
"I do appreciate it. The entire East India Trading Company will thank you for it. Why, you'll probably get a medal."
"I'd rather have some new perfume."
- ―Benedict Huntington and Barbara Huntington
A medal, or medallion, was a small, flat, and round (or, at times, oval) piece of metal that has been sculpted, molded, cast, struck, stamped, or some way marked with an insignia, portrait, or other artistic rendering. In the proper use of the term, medallions were larger, starting at perhaps four inches across, and were, as such, usually too large to be worn very comfortably, though in colloquial use, "medallion" was sometimes used to refer to a medal used as the pendant of a necklace or for other types of medals.
Over the course of history, medals were usually awarded to a person or organization as a form of recognition for military or various other achievements. At some point before his promotion to the rank of Commodore, James Norrington was awarded with the Most Honourable Military Order of the Bath medal, probably for his successful campaigns against pirates in the Caribbean. The infamous pirate Jolly Roger always wore a medal on his coat, but it is more than likely he stole the coat, along with the medal, from someone else.
Behind the scenes
- The trailer for the cancelled video game Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned shows the infamous pirate James Sterling stealing a gold medallion from a Spanish officer during the battle.
- The Secret of Port Royal Teleportation quest in Pirates of the Caribbean Online requires a player to recover the first medal of Port Royal from a buried treasure chest.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
- Legends of the Brethren Court: The Turning Tide (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales