|This article is about a member of Jack Sparrow's crew. You may be looking for the term.|
|Ship(s) captained or crewed|
|Behind the scenes|
Stabbed in the back and thrown overboard by Maximo.
- "Feast your eyes, Captain. All of them, faithful hands before the mast. Every man worth his salt. And crazy to boot."
- ―Joshamee Gibbs on the Motley Crew, including Matelot.
Matelot was a pirate operating in the 1720s around Tortuga. He was recruited in Tortuga by Captain Jack Sparrow prior to the pursuit of the Black Pearl as part of his Motley crew, assembled to go after Sparrow's enemy Hector Barbossa. Matelot sailed the Interceptor to Isla de Muerta during Will Turner's attempt to rescue Elizabeth Swann from Hector Barbossa's cursed crew, but was eventually stabbed and pitched into the sea by one of the cursed pirates.
Quest to Isla de MuertaEdit
In 1728, Matelot joined the crew of the commandeered British Royal Navy vessel known as the HMS Interceptor under Jack Sparrow. He had been hired by Sparrow's first mate, Joshamee Gibbs, in Tortuga. They first sailed through a treacherous storm, during which Matelot and the other crewmen were soaked in the rain. He looked over the rail of the Interceptor into the sea as the ship passed through a dangerous passageway the next day, watching several sharks and other fish below them as the ship moved slowly onwards. The pirates soon snapped back to work on orders from their captain. They later arrived at their destination, Isla de Muerta, where Jack Sparrow and William Turner went into the island alone, leaving the crew behind, ordering them to keep to the Pirate's Code.
Will later came out without Jack, but the crew kept to the code and went on without him. When the Black Pearl attacked the Interceptor, Matelot loaded and manned the cannons below deck as the Pearl chased their ship. The Interceptor later turned around to fight the Pearl and its crew, and the ships opened fire on each other. During the ensuing battle, Matelot was stabbed in the back by Maximo, one of the cursed pirates, and pitched into the sea. His body was left in the ocean.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Matelot was played by Rudolph McColam in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- Despite having been killed in The Curse of the Black Pearl, Matelot can be seen in the background of several battle scenes in Dead Man's Chest loading cannons and fighting. This is due to some footage originally shot for The Curse of the Black Pearl being used in the second movie.
- "Matelot" is a French word meaning "seamen". In pirate slang, "Matelot" referred to a pirate who was in a union known as "matelotage" with another pirate; they shared all their possessions (even the wives) and if one of them died, the other succeeded him.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- ↑ Jan Rogozinski, Pirates! Brigands, Buccaneers, and Privateers in Fact, Fiction, and Legend