- "The enraged goddess Calypso gathered the waters of the ocean around herself in a giant whirlpool–a massive maelstrom–and a battle raged at the center of it."
"Captain Barbossa! We need you at the helm."
"...Aye, that be true."
- ―Joshamee Gibbs, Elizabeth Swann and Hector Barbossa[src]
After being released from her human form, the goddess Calypso, enraged over Davy Jones's betrayal and the Brethren Court, used her powers to summon a maelstrom. Calypso's maelstrom consisted of an enormous whirlpool topped with a thunderstorm with strong wind, lightning and rain. At the heart of this maelstrom, a battle raged between the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman. After the death of Davy Jones, the maelstrom subsided.
Behind the scenes Edit
- For filming At World's End, the climatic Maelstrom battle sequence was shot at a 600 foot long, 300 foot wide and 70 foot tall hangar in the desert community of Palmdale, California-58 miles north of The Walt Disney Studios—where full-sized replicas of both the Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman were built from the decks up, as well as various other set pieces.
- There has been no earlier mention of maelstrom in any preceding Pirates of the Caribbean media, but it has been mentioned in several other works, including Jules Verne's 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (video game)
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)