|Ship(s) captained or crewed|
|Behind the scenes|
- "Only the British Empire will hold the power of the sea."
- ―Scarfield as he spots the Black Pearl
John Scarfield was a British Royal Navy Lieutenant around the 1750s. Driven mad by his lust for vengeance against the notorious pirate Captain Jack Sparrow and the supposed "witch" Carina Smyth, he would stop at nothing to re-gain his rightful reputation ruined by the duo.
The "witch" Carina Smyth and the Captain Jack Sparrow were both captured at St. Martin, and Scarfield demands that they both be executed simultaneously. But, Sparrow manages to escape trouble once again, and knocks out Scarfield with a block of wood before he could do any harm to Carina and their rescuer, Henry Turner.
Scarfield is now in pursuit. He assembles a crew and does everything in his power to find the three miscreants that ruined his reputation. He, along with his crew, seek the help of Shansa the witch, who willingly shows Scarfield the route to the Trident of Poseidon, where Henry, Carina, and Jack were headed, in exchange of him sparing her life.
After hours of searching, Scarfield's ship, the Essex, encountered the newly resurrected Black Pearl. After Henry Turner spots his ship on the starboard side, Hector Barbossa orders the entire crew to stand their ground and fight until the end. Scarfield stood aboard the Essex looking at the Pearl through his spyglass and ordered his men to prepare to fire. When all had seemed well, Scarfield heard a menacing sound creeping up behind him. As he slowly turned around he noticed a peculiar large object moving upward in a chilling way: the Silent Mary. The Silent Mary opened its sides like a cage and came crashing down on top of Scarfield and his crew, igniting the powder magazine and causing the Essex to go up into flames and sink to the depths of the ocean, ending the tyrannical lieutenant's reign of terror.
Personality and Traits Edit
Lieutenant Scarfield was known to be ruthless and cruel, not only to his enemies, but to is own men as well, threatening to hang one of his own officers in Carina's place if she wasn't found. His personal lust for reputation and vengeance ultimately ended in his quick demise at the hands of Captain Armando Salazar.
Behind the scenesEdit
- John Scarfield was played by David Wenham in Dead Men Tell No Tales. The character was credited only as Scarfield in the film but the full name was revealed in the prequel novel The Brightest Star in the North: The Adventures of Carina Smyth.
- The Brightest Star in the North: The Adventures of Carina Smyth (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- ↑ Estimation based on David Wenham's age during the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, and the fact that DMTNT takes place in the 1751.
- ↑ As evidenced by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: Movie Graphic Novel, the events of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales are set in 1751.