| "We are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming things."|
The title of this article is conjectural.
|Jack Sparrow's piece of eight|
|Behind the scenes|
Burned with the other Nine Pieces of Eight
According to pirate lore, Jack Sparrow acquired the Moroccan beads from a French lady of questionable reputation. And the coin was an ancient coin from Siam; one of the first two bits he ever pirated. Jack bought his hat with the second bit.
While Jack kept the piece of eight for himself, he bought his hat with the other coin. This piece of eight was in Jack's possession wherever he went, as the Pirate Lord of the Caribbean, draping over his forehead.
When Jack became the Pirate Lord, the infamous pirate captain Jolly Roger attempted to win Jack's piece of eight in a poker match. However, the game turned in Sparrow's favor, and Roger pulled twin pistols and aimed them at Jack and his own partner in crime, the voodoo witch doctor Amo Dorsi. Jack threw the table up, tossing cards and gold everywhere. Jolly shot Dorsi but Jack disappeared in the confusion. With his dying breath, Dorsi cursed Jolly Roger to walk the earth as the undead, transforming him into a skeletal beast!
Jack wore the piece of eight during his quest for the Shadow Gold, his adventures in getting the Black Pearl back in his possession, in his search for the Dead Man's Chest, and throughout of the War Against Piracy.
During the meeting of the Fourth Brethren Court, it was preferred by Hector Barbossa that every Pirate Lord had to present their piece of eight. When called upon about his own piece of eight, Jack merely meddled with his for a moment and then let it stay on his forehead. Unlike the other Pirate Lords, Jack kept his piece of eight throughout the meeting. Later, during the parley in the sandbar, Barbossa sliced Jack's piece of eight and had his monkey retrieve it. The piece of eight finally burned to a crisp during the incantation to release Calypso from her human form. After this, Jack would get a new trinket.
Behind the scenes
- Jack's Piece of Eight first appeared as one of his many trinkets in The Curse of the Black Pearl, though its importance wasn't revealed until At World's End.
- Though this wasn't clearly stated in The Price of Freedom, it is assumable that Don Rafael and Lady Esmeralda were the owners of this Piece of Eight before Jack.
- Pirates of the Caribbean (ride) (post-2006 revamp)
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
- The Buccaneer's Heart!
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Legends of the Brethren Court
- Pirates of the Caribbean (film series)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (junior novelization)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (junior novelization)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (junior novelization)
Notes and references
- ↑ This piece of eight had to be made by the time the First Brethren Court convened.
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Inside the Brethren Court featurete
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean Online
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: Legends of the Brethren Court
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides