|For other uses, see Jack (disambiguation)|
|Also known as||
|Behind the scenes|
A member of the infamous family of outlaws, Jack was a brother of Captain Edward Teague, the Keeper of the Pirate Code. One day Edward became a father, and his baby boy was named after his uncle, Jack. Most of Jack's life is shrouded in mystery, but it is known that he spent at least some time with his young nephew, often telling him a joke about the skeleton in a bar and calling him Jackie like his father does.
Many years later, when Jack was considered long-lost by his nephew, in unknown circumstances Jack was arrested by the British authorities in Saint Martin and sentenced to beating. While he was singing Maggie Mae and playing poker with two other prisoners in his cell, philosophically awaiting his fate, his nephew, now a grown up infamous pirate known as Jack Sparrow, overheard him as he was dragged by the British soldiers through the corridor and mistook him for his father, only for Jack to turn around. Recognizing each other, Sparrow and Jack had a brief conversation about Captain Salazar's vengeance on pirates, with the older pirate warning his nephew to stay on dry land as the oceans have turned to blood.
When Sparrow replied that the land wasn't safe either because he was just about to be executed, Jack admitted that his nephew had a point and told him an old joke about the skeleton in a bar. As one prisoner in a neighboring cell laughed, Sparrow replied that the joke was funny as ever before the soldiers dragged him away for execution. Jack yelled after him that he should ask for Victor, in case his executioners decide to disembowel him because Victor supposedly had the softest hands. He also told Sparrow to mention his name so the executioners wouldn't cut off his feet. His further fate is unknown.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Uncle Jack was portrayed by Sir Paul McCartney in Dead Men Tell No Tales. The character was named after McCartney's own uncle, John "Jack" McCartney.
- According to the directors Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, Uncle Jack takes the role that would have been filled by Jack Sparrow's father Captain Edward Teague if Keith Richards would have been available to travel to Australia during the filming of Dead Men Tell No Tales. When Richards was found to be unavailable due to scheduling conflicts, Johnny Depp called Paul McCartney to appear in the film and he accepted.
- Uncle Jack's joke "A skeleton walks into a bar, orders a mop and a beer" is a reference to the film Donnie Brasco, because during filming, actor Al Pacino told the same joke to Johnny Depp repeatedly.
- Since this character is Edward Teague's brother, it is possible his full name is Jack Teague. However, that still has to be officially confirmed by The Walt Disney Company.
Notes and references Edit
- ↑ Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Novelization, p105.
- ↑ Estimation based on Sir Paul McCartney's age during the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, and the fact that DMTNT takes place in 1751.
- ↑ 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Directors Talk Paul McCartney Cameo
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- ↑ Disney Pirates: The Definitive Collector's Anthology, p131.
- ↑ Disney Pirates: The Definitive Collector's Anthology, p109.
- ↑ Disney Pirates: The Definitive Collector's Anthology, p132.
- ↑ Sir Paul McCartney replaced Keith Richards in Pirates at The List