25 December 1642
20 March 1726
|Behind the scenes|
The Price of Freedom (Mentioned only)
The Adventures of Carina Smyth (Mentioned only)
Isaac Newton was an English scientist, mathematician, and astronomer.
- "You are not Sir Isaac Newton's daughter, so stop playing like you are."
- ―The Italian master to Carina Smyth
During his lifetime Newton developed the theory of gravity, the laws of motion, a new type of mathematics called calculus, and made breakthroughs in the area of optics such as the reflecting telescope.
Newton's work was studied by a young Cutler Beckett who hoped to become a professor at Cambridge or Oxford. Carina Smyth heard about Newton from her Italian master when she mentioned something scientific from Galileo Galilei's diary. A few years later she saw a statue of Newton at Hanover Hall, along with the statues of Galileo Galilei and Nicolaus Copernicus, realizing that all these men were scientists.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom (First mentioned)
- The Brightest Star in the North: The Adventures of Carina Smyth (Mentioned only)
Notes and references Edit
- ↑ The Price of Freedom, Chapter 7: "Lost and Found"
- ↑ The Brightest Star in the North: The Adventures of Carina Smyth, p82.