|Points of interest|
|Behind the scenes|
Hispaniola (Spanish: La Española; Haitian Creole: Ispayola; Taíno: Ayiti) was a major Caribbean island located north-east of Port Royal, between Cuba to the west and Puerto Rico to the east. It was the site of the first European colonies founded by Christopher Columbus on his voyages in 1492 and 1493. The southern end of the island was the location of the city. Around the city was a jungle and in the jungle, there was an ancient Aztec temple. The pirate-infested island of Tortuga laid off the coast of this massive island.
After 1697, the island was divided into two colonies, one Spanish and one French. The French colony became known as Saint Dominique.
The Spanish part of the island remained the seat of Spanish power in the Caribbean, since this was where the governor of Port Royal went to make a treaty in the 1710s. Several members of Hector Barbossa's cursed crew were escaped slaves from Hispaniola.
At some point before the quest for the Fountain of Youth, Angelica and Jack Sparrow were in St. Dominique, and she unsuccessfully tried to kill him there. In the late 1740s, many years after the War Against Piracy, the Black Pearl was off the coast of Hispaniola when they came under attack by Blackbeard's ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge.
Behind the scenes Edit
- Hispaniola appears in the video game Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. But, since that game was canceled, it is unknown if the island's appearance in the game is canon or not.
- Hispaniola appears in Tim Powers' novel, On Stranger Tides, which was used as the basis for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
- Jack Sparrow: The Coming Storm (First mentioned)
- Jack Sparrow: Silver (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (video game) (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (DVD featurette)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Complete Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
|Locations in Pirates of the Caribbean|