The gallows were a frame, typically wooden, used for execution by hanging, or by means to torture before execution, as was used when being hanged, drawn and quartered. Pirates were mainly the individuals given an appointment with the gallows.
Throughout his time in the British Royal Navy, James Norrington intended to see that anyone who sailed under a pirate flag or wore a pirate brand gets a short drop and a sudden stop at the gallows. Norrington continued to believe that shortly after he was promoted to commodore, at which time he had captured the notorious pirate Captain Jack Sparrow, who would stand at the gallows at Fort Charles days later before making an escape. When he took control over the British colony of Port Royal, Lord Cutler Beckett had Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann arrested, with Elizabeth facing the gallows. Beckett later led a mass execution of all persons who were associated with piracy.
- The Price of Freedom (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales