Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|French Royal Navy|
|Behind the scenes|
The French Royal Navy (officially the Marine Nationale - National Navy) was the maritime arm of the French military.
- "Port Oxbay was a typical Caribbean English colony. Bustling, prosperous and peaceful. Until a squadron appeared like ghosts from the fog. A squadron under French colors."
During the seventeenth century, the French Royal Navy became a consistent instrument of the Kingdom of France. In 1630 the French Navy occupied the English colony of Oxbay in the Caribbean. However, the French were later forced to withdraw.
Under the tutelage of king Louis XIV, the French Navy was well financed and equipped, managing to score several early victories in the Nine Years War against the English Royal Navy and the Dutch Navy. In 1689, during the War of the League of Augsberg, combined forces of the French Navy and buccaneers from Tortuga, under the command of French Admiral Baron Jean de Pointis, managed to capture Cartagena, the richest Spanish city in the Spanish Main.
During the era of Jack Sparrow, the French Royal Navy continued to score various successes although the British Royal Navy, under commanders such as Admiral Bratton and Commodore James Norrington, remained the main naval power on the Seven Seas.
During the endless war between the Spanish colony of Isla De La Avaracia and French colony of Ille D'Etable De Porc, French Navy has lost many of it's ships. They were sunked by Spanish forces but later raised from sea floor by the undead pirate captain Jolly Roger. Now, they are part of French Ghost fleet in Roger's service.
- HMS Belette
- Le Requin
- Unnamed French frigate
- French Blood Scourge
- French Cerberus
- French Shadow Crow
Behind the scenes
- "Attack authorizations? I thought pirate activity was at an ebb."
"They're lying low for the moment. But the Brethren will gather soon enough, and then one final strike..."
"A Portuguese merchant vessel? This one is for ships of the French Royal Navy! You intend to use the Flying Dutchman to wage war on other nations?"
- ―Weatherby Swann and Cutler Beckett
- In the first screenplay draft of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Cutler Beckett intended to use the Flying Dutchman to capture both pirate ships and ships of other nations, including ships of the French Royal Navy.
- According to the Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow video game, Jack Sparrow once sank a French war galleon with naught but his cutlass and a diving bell.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean Online French privateer ships are easily recognizable by their red, white, and blue sails.
- Pirates of the Caribbean (game) (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
- The Price of Freedom (Indirect mention only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online