Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Also known as||
|Behind the scenes|
Ferdinand VI (Spanish: Fernando VI), sometimes referred to as the Learnt, was King of Spain during the 18th century. He was the third member of the Spanish Bourbon dynasty. A few years after Ferdinand's accession to the throne, an old castaway was rushed to the royal palace. The castaway would have given King Ferdinand the logbook of the Santiago, which told of explorer Ponce de Leon's fabled discovery of the long-lost Fountain of Youth. Upon this unorthodox discovery, Ferdinand sent his most trusted agent, The Spaniard, to find the Fountain and destroy it.
Quest for the Fountain of Youth
In 1750, two fishermen arrived to Ferdinand's royal palace with an old sailor who claimed to have sailed with Ponce de León, a Spanish Conquistador who died two hundred years ago in search for the Fountain of Youth. The sailor gave Ferdinand a logbook of Ponce de León's ship, the Santiago. Looking through the contents of the logbook, Ferdinand discovered an archaic symbol in one of its pages. Right then, he realized that the legends of the Fountain of Youth were true.
A devoted Catholic, Ferdinand believed that only a soul should be immortal, not the human body. Realizing how great a damage could occur for the Catholic Church if the Fountain was discovered, he sent his most trusted agent, known as "The Spaniard", to find and destroy the Fountain. Ferdinand gave the Spaniard three galleons and a loyal crew for the task.
Some time later, King George II would learn of the Spanish's discovery through his ministers and attempted to recruit Captain Jack Sparrow to guide an expedition to the Fountain, which soon failed in the pirate's escape. But King George didn't realize that Ferdinand sent his men to destroy the Fountain, rather than to gain immortality. In the end, Ferdinand's plan was successful, and the Fountain was destroyed by the Spaniard's men.
Behind the Scenes
- Ferdinand VI was portrayed by Sebastian Armesto in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
- Ferdinand VI and George II of Great Britain are the first historical monarchs that appear in POTC film series.
- In the non-canonical LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game, Ponce de León's logbook was stolen from the Spanish by Angelica, but not before Ferdinand took from it the map with the route to the Fountain of Youth.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (First appearance)
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: The Visual Guide
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (junior novelization)