Death was an event that represented the permanent cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living organism. Phenomena which commonly bring about death include old age, predation, malnutrition, disease, suicide, murder and accidents or trauma resulting in terminal injury. Bodies of living organisms begin to decompose shortly after death. Contrary to popular belief, death and Davy Jones' Locker were not the same thing: death offered a form of peace from anything suffered while alive, while the Locker was suffering as Jack Sparrow found out. The comfort of death was also denied to those under the curse placed upon the Aztec Gold, immortalized as part of the crew of the Flying Dutchman or reanimated by the fires of Devil's Triangle; In the first case, victims would exist as living dead, unable to be killed, wounded or maimed, but doomed to suffer eternal thirst, hunger and lust unless it was lifted. The second instance would involve the victims being bound to the will of the captain of the Flying Dutchman, who could depose of or prolong their lives as per his whim, while the third instance would only result in permanent death when the reanimated individual steps on land.
In human societies, the nature of death has for millennia been a concern of the world's religious traditions. This may have included a belief in some kind of resurrection, reincarnation, or that consciousness permanently ceased to exist, known as "oblivion".
Behind the scenesEdit
- Hector Barbossa was originally killed in The Curse of the Black Pearl, but was shown to have been resurrected in Dead Man's Chest, setting his return in the future installments, but he later met his eventual final demise in Dead Men Tell No Tales.
- Prior to official announcements regarding a fourth Pirates installment, actor Bill Nighy expressed interest in returning as Davy Jones. "I am technically dead but then again, who cares?" Nighy said. "Everybody dies in the pirates movies. They killed Johnny [Depp] and Geoffrey [Rush]. Death is not permanent in the pirate world. I have a serious desire to come back." Although On Stranger Tides was released without the character or Nighy in the cast, the character eventually seemingly returned in the post-credits stinger of Dead Men Tell No Tales, and it's currently unconfirmed as to when exactly we will see him next.
- Jack Sparrow: The Siren Song (Mentioned only)
- Jack Sparrow: The Sword of Cortés
- Jack Sparrow: City of Gold
- The Price of Freedom
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales