- "Me tongue feels like a strip cut from a cat."
"No, mate, leather. A cat o' nine tails. Used for floggings at sea. Nasty things."
- ―Jack Sparrow and Ian Mercer[src]
The cat o' nine tails was a type of multi-tailed whipping device that originated as an implement for severe physical punishment, notably in the British Royal Navy. Pirates were also known to use cat o' nine tails.
Jimmy Legs, the bo'sun aboard Davy Jones' ship the Flying Dutchman, was known to use a cat o' nine tails, priding himself to cleave flesh from bone. Bootstrap Bill Turner was once forced by Jones to give five lashes from the cat o' nine tails to his son Will Turner. One of Blackbeard's zombie officers, Gunner, was known to have used the cat o' nine tails to whip human crew members of the Queen Anne's Revenge.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The expression "cat's out of the bag", usually meaning a secret has been revealed, came from the old navy slang meaning the cat o' nine tails has been taken out of its bag, and is undoubtedly going to be used on someone.
- The Price of Freedom (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Pirates of the Caribbean (film series)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: The Visual Guide