| "We are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming things."|
The title of this article is conjectural.
- "Gents... Ladies... ’Tis lucky I am to be standing here afore ye today. Two months ago, almost to the day, me ship Cobra was attacked and sunk by one of our own. We had raised our true colors, and yet still they tried to slaughter us. We were attacked by one of our own brethren... a clear violation of the Code, ’twas."
- ―Hector Barbossa to pirates assembled at Shipwreck Cove
Prelude to battle Edit
- "We were sailin’ in waters north of Bermuda, on our way back from an encounter we’d had with a Frenchy barque. Took a nice haul, we did. Ivory. We were ridin’ low in the water, so laden we be."
- ―Hector Barbossa
Hector Barbossa's ship, the schooner Cobra, was sailing in the waters north of Bermuda, back from a battle with the French barque, when the topman spied a sail on the horizon. Barbossa ordered his crew to change the course to take a look on this ship. After a few hours, the two ships approached each other. Barbossa's crew raised the French flag, after which the mysterious ship raised the Dutch flag.
After seeing that the ship is a sloop, and that its crew isn't dressed like merchantmen, Barbossa ordered his crew to raise his black pirate flag. The crew of the mysterious sloop responded to that by raising their own pirate colors, the red flag with the black demon skull on it.
- "The moment we raised our true colors, that sloop, he run up his flag, too. A red flag, with a black demon skull on it. ’Twas then I knew for certain that he was another pirate. We all had a good laugh, me and me crew. We waved at ’em. They waved back. Then I gives the order to come about, to put our rudder to ’em. The Code calls for us all to respect our fellows on the account, and I was abiding by it."
- ―Hector Barbossa
Barbossa's crew relaxed, seeing the they encountered one of their own, member of the Brethren Court. But suddenly, the mysterious pirate sloop opened fire on Barbossa's ship.
The battle continued until the sunset, and Barbossa ordered his men to launch the boats. The Cobra was sinking fast, and half of his men were dead. Many of them were sucked down with the ship. Barbossa himself almost drowned in a futile attempt to save Polly, his little pet monkey, but he was saved and pulled into a boat in a last moment by the two of men, Pintel and Ragetti.
After the sinking of the Cobra, the mysterious pirate sloop sent out boats to kill Barbossa's men in the water which were still alive. Those who weren't killed by their enemies, they were eaten by the sharks.
Only the darkness saved Barbossa and his saviors, and they rowed until dawn, when there was no sign of the ship which caused their misery.
Barbossa and his men managed to reach a deserted island, where they built a signal fire. A week later they were saved by a pirate ship which was passing by. They were left in Tortuga, where they met Don Rafael, who transported them to Shipwreck Cove, where Barbossa informed captain Edward Teague, the Keeper of the Code, and his fellow Pirate Lords of this latest action of rogue pirates.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The timeline established in On Stranger Tides (which takes place in 1750) and Dead Men Tell No Tales (which takes place in 1751) sets the flashbacks in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom around 1710. However, the exact placement still has to be officially confirmed by The Walt Disney Company.